Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week 1 365 to 50

Today is my 49th birthday. I'm 365 days away from being half a century old. As a younger person I tended to think of growing older in even sets of 5 or 10 years. The tweeners were just steps on the way to the next decade or half decade platform. 49 didn't even register on the radar... until it approached and for the first time in my life, aging started to mean something. Never has getting older bothered me, but suddenly it does.

I'm not completely sure why I'm suddenly so conscious of my age but it something to do with not doing the things I did when I was younger. In a sense it is a crisis ,but it doesn't mean that I want to buy a sports car, get back into rock climbing or shoot for winter ascents of all 54 of Colorado's 14er's. It means that I want to get back to doing the things that make me happy so that life is fun and worth living.

I hope to use this blog to keep track of the things that I am doing in the upcoming year as I try to create the positive change I want to see in my life. I would like to start enjoying Colorado and doing the kinds of things that make living here special and stop thinking about it as a place that Heather and I came to sacrificially for the betterment of our children before we make our next move as empty-nesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment